Egg Carton Seed Starters for Earth Day!
April 02, 2018
Earth day is coming up and what better way to celebrate than to make your very own seed starters! This is a great way to reuse all the egg cartons that were left over from Easter and is a family friendly activity that your kids will love!
What you'll need:
• Cardboard Egg Carton
• Spray Bottle
- First, detach the top of the egg carton from the bottom. We will be planting the seeds in the bottom half of the carton so hold on to that side!
- Add potting soil to individual egg cups in carton.
- Poke a hole in the center of the soil in each cup and plant one seed in each hole.
- Spray the soil with water.
- Place your carton indoors in location with a warm light.
- Make sure to water the seeds every day and to keep the soil moist.
- Once the seeds have sprouted, you can transfer them into permanent pot.
- Wet the egg carton completely with the spray bottle before moving the seedling to a new location.
- Carefully tear off each of the egg carton cups. This should be fairly easy if the carton is wet.
- Dig a hole in the pot you are transferring the seedling into
- Place the egg carton cup directly in the soil. Don't worry about taking it out the carton will it will decompose!
- Water your seedlings everyday and watch them grow!
If you're interested in more ways you can go green in your outdoor living space, check out these ecofriendly Cambridge pavers products!
• SolaGlo Paver -Join the solar power revolution and invest in solar powered pavers which are a low maintenance and energy efficient alternative.
• Aqua Bric- Cambridge permeable pavers are specially designed for rapid removal of storm water.
• Cambridge Wall Systems can also be used to prevent erosion, another condition that threatens the environment
Click here to learn more!
Photo credit: http://www.pbs.org/parents/crafts-for-kids/egg-carton-seed-starts/