Barbeques are great but waiting for burgers and hotdogs to come off the grill can be miserable especially if you've been looking forward to eating all day. Check out these three irresistible 4th of July finger foods that will keep your guests busy and keep the fun going!
What you'll need:
• Oven Avocado Fries
• 4 tbsp. canola oil, divided
• 2 c. panko breadcrumbs
• 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 2/3 c. whole buttermilk
• 1 large egg
• 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
• 3 firm but ripe avocados, each cut into 6 wedges
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush a large rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon oil. Toss breadcrumbs, chili powder, and remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a shallow bowl until coated. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk together buttermilk and egg in a separate bowl, and place flour in a third bowl.
2. Season avocado with salt and pepper. Working with one wedge at a time, toss in flour, then in buttermilk mixture (letting any excess drip off), and then in breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently to help adhere. Place, rounded side down, on prepared baking sheet.
3. Bake until golden brown, 28 to 32 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Make Creamy Chipotle Lime Sauce: Stir together mayonnaise, finely chopped chipotles in adobo, lime zest, lime juice, and chili powder. Season with kosher salt and black pepper.
5. Serve with Creamy Chipotle Lime Sauce and lime wedges alongside.
Photo and recipe courtesy: https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/recipes/a45487/oven-avocado-fries-recipe/
What you'll need:
• 2 cups frozen spinach, chopped and thawed
• 1 6 ounce jar Artichoke Hearts, drained and chopped
• 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
• 2 TB grated parmesan cheese
• 4 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
• 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
• 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
• pepper to taste
• 1 can seamless Crescent Dough
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In a bowl, combine spinach, artichoke hearts, garlic and Parmesan cheese. Blend in cream cheese and half of your mozzarella cheese. Season with Salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Using a rolling pin, lay out dough on a cutting board and lightly stretch to a 8 x 12 rectangle. Cut dough into 2 inch squares, so you have 24 squared total.
4. Lightly grease a mini muffin tin and place a square in each slot, gently pushing down to create an indent. (you don't need to mold to the cup.)
5. Scoop one teaspoon of your spinach mixture on top of each crescent square and gently push in, (bites will mold to your tin while baking). Spread the remaining mozzarella cheese over the tops of each cup.
6. Bake at 375 for 15 - 17 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before moving from tray. Enjoy!
Photo and recipe courtesy: https://lilluna.com/spinach-dip-bites/
What you'll need:
• 4 slices bacon, diced
• 2 cups vegetable oil, or more, as needed
• 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• 1 1/2 cups Panko*
• 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat.
3. In a large bowl, combine mashed potatoes, cheese, chives, cayenne pepper and bacon.
4. Using a small cookie scoop, roll the mixture into 1 1/4-to-1 1/2-inch balls, forming about 25.
5. Working one at a time, dip balls into eggs, then dredge in Panko, pressing to coat.
6. Working in batches, add balls to the Dutch oven and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
7. Serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan, if desired.
Photo and recipe courtesy:https://damndelicious.net/2015/11/14/loaded-mashed-potato-balls/