Mistake-Proof Your Outdoor Kitchen Design
And Extend Grilling & Cooking Well Into Fall & Winter MonthsOctober 11, 2016
By Charles H. Gamarekian
Backyard grilling and cooking enthusiasts need not go into seclusion after the summer season comes to an end. Outdoor cooking options do exist. However, proven indoor kitchen design philosophies apply even in outdoor spaces; in fact following them may be more important due to the affects of changing climate conditions and other unfavorable factors. Inspired by their entertaining cable TV programming, HGTV magazine offered some tips online regarding basic design that will ensure that your outdoor kitchen is not only functional but looks great as well. Cambridge - makers of Cambridge Pavingstones with ArmorTec® - a respected manufacturer of hardscape materials and outdoor cooking patio components, offers a spectrum of products that overlaps HGTV's sound advice to homeowners.
Here's what HGTV had to say:
1. Apply good kitchen design principles for functional zones of the kitchen and if you're not a kitchen design professional, be sure you understand them, or partner with one.
2. Remember that indoor and outdoor kitchens are simpatico; the most significant difference between indoor and outdoor kitchen design is often the exposure to the elements.
3. Select low-maintenance materials and equipment designed to withstand the rigors of an outdoor kitchen.
4. Complement the design of the home's architecture and landscape by using compatible materials and incorporate subtle architectural details.
5. Plan the entire outdoor entertaining space as part of a single functional plan since dining areas, cooking areas and pool areas often coexist.
What the Cambridge Product Development Team has added to the plan:
1. Flexible design - Fully assembled outdoor kitchens from Cambridge combine custom features with modular design convenience putting all the amenities needed (food prep, cooking and grilling) within arm's reach. Simply arrange the four pre-assembled components in an "L" shape, "U" shape or straight for the configuration that's right for you. The durable and versatile, free standing Cambridge Grill Island, also fully assembled, is duly tailored for smaller patios.
2. Four-season resilience - made of Cambridge Wallstones with LaserFit™ Technology, the sturdy and stationary kitchen units, like any hardscape products, are field-proven to hold their color and withstand the harshest of weather-related elements.
3. Easy maintenance - A gleaming, easily cleanable, stainless steel appliance package (included) has all the most wanted features for grilling, rotisserie cooking, warming, refrigeration, cabinet access storage, nighttime use and more.
4. Architectural compatibility - Cambridge Fully-Assembled Outdoor Kitchens and Grill Islands come in two stylish motifs, rugged Stone Veneer Canyon Ledge and aged Olde English™, both with choices of colors and polished, granite countertops.
5. A perfect setting - Mix, match and pair with Cambridge Pavingstones, Cambridge landscape walls and other components such as a Cambridge Pizza Oven, Fire Pit, Fireplace and a host of preferences for a homey, backyard ambience. When associated with an efficiently designed kitchen, they can provide gratification year-round and value unlike many other home improvements.
A pre-eminent source for inspiration in designing an outdoor cooking environment and a complementing outdoor room is the Cambridge Outdoor Living Room Guide. Showcasing new designs yearly, the Guide is available for the asking at any authorized Cambridge Distributor and viewing online at cambridgerpavers.com.